SUNDAY, DECEMBER 12, 2010
Mr.P.Kapur
D.O.B.: 1925
Place of Birth: Muzzaffargarh (Now West Pakistan)
Education: First batch of Doon School
                 Government College, Lahore
                 Banaras Hindu University (BHU)




My father was the Inspector General of Police in Bikaner. We had a lot of property in Jhelum District (now in Pakistan). Partition changed my life and lifestyle- from a gentleman of leisure to having to fend for myself. I was admitted to M.I.T. but by then it was not possible for me to to study abroad. It took 19 years of court cases before we got compensation.


When I was 13 yrs of age I met Gandhiji  for the first time in Shimla at Raj Kumari Amrit Kaur's house. Then again in 1939 I heard him speak on non-violence. In fact he asked me whether I believed in non-violence. I replied that if somebody hits me, I will hit them back.
Later I started firmly believing in his ideals.
I remember singing the national anthem prior to independence in school as an assembly song.
In 1942 I became the President of the students union in BHU. We hoisted the tri-colour on the kotwali (police station) in Banaras. I remember Gandhiji saying that the students first priority was to study and excel and not get involved in politics so we did not allow strikes in BHU.


Life for us did not change so much after independence- it was partition that changed it all. We had no negative feelings towards the British. Still we were delighted to hear about Independence. I was in Bikaner on the night of 14th August. I remember sleeping on the terrace that night and hearing Pandit Nehru's speech on radio at midnight.


I feel the politicians at that time still had the country's future to their hearts. They were still honest. In the decades after 1947, the country carried on in its humdrum way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog