TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 9, 2010
Mrs. R.Kapur's Account




D.O.B: 23rd January, 1934


Place of Birth : Delhi, India

Father: Hari Nath

Mother: Rukmini


Education: Convent of Jesus & Mary, Delhi

                 Tara Hall, Shimla

                 St.Bede's College, Shimla


Family Life and Early Years

I was the youngest of 5 surviving siblings. My 2 brothers and 2 sisters were much older than me. I was born at Number 8, Queen Marys Avenue, Delhi. Later we shifted to Number 12, Queen Marys Avenue and then finally to number 15 where we lived till 1952 when my father retired from Government Service. My eldest sister was already married when I was born and Vidya my other sister got married when I was 3 years old. In fact she brought me up as my mother did not keep good health. I remember being very upset when Vidya got married. My eldest brother was already in the customs in Karachi and Kailash, the brother closer to me in age, was in college when I was born and then later he left home to join the navy.


My father was the Deputy Chief Controller of Imports and we followed the pattern of the British Government - in the summer months we moved to Shimla, the Summer Capital  of the British Raj and I used to study in Tara Hall School there and in the winter months we would return to Delhi. For the summer holidays my older sister’s children (who were my age) used to come to Shimla and in the winter holidays I would visit them in Lahore (now in Pakistan).

I remember being invited to Vice Regal Lodge the residence of the British Viceroy for the annual employee’s party in Shimla. One particular party I remember well. My mother was not in Shimla at that time and I was reluctant to go. I got ready and my brother Kailash looked at me and said that my hair ribbon and clothes were crushed. He warmed up an iron and made me lie down and ironed my dress as well as the ribbon tied on my 2 plaits very carefully! I went with my Ayah (nanny). The Vicerene came up to me and shook my hand as we both were wearing dresses made of the same fabric! I remember my Ayah being very happy and excited that I was singled out!


Our life at home was much disciplined. My father used to listen to the 9 o'clock news every night and did not like being disturbed at that time. Small children were not included in any conversations or discussions. Men and women had a purdah system. The women did not wear veils, but when my parent’s friends came over, they would sit separately. In fact when my sister Vidya got engaged, her fiancĂ©e would be entertained by my eldest brother and me as she was not allowed to go out with him. I remember going to Gaiety Theatre in Shimla and the famous restaurant Davicos with him and I was about 3 years old at that time.



My father was a member of the Free Masons. He became a Grandmaster. When he went out he used to wear a hat and western clothes. At home he would wear a dhoti and kurta. He even smoked cigars. He was given the title of Rai Bahadur (given to those who were loyal to the British)






Independence

We had no negative feelings towards the British. I had many British and Anglo Indian friends. I had no Muslim friends though. I was not allowed to go to any ones home for even birthday parties. My brother Kailash was a Gandhi follower and used to wear a dhoti and a Gandhi topi (cap). This would upset my father as he felt he would lose his job because of his revolutionary son. He also had a very close friend who had to go underground as he was a communist.



I remember that on the night of 14th August my father had to attend a special Independence Day dinner that went on till past midnight. Being a young girl at that time, I was so protected that I was quite unaware on what was going on around me.





Partition

My sister Vidya was most affected by partition. Both my brother-in-laws sent their families, who were living in Lahore to hill stations thinking that this period would soon pass and then all would return to their homes. It was August 1947 and the school summer vacations had begun. Vidya’s husband stayed on with his, mother in Lahore. One day his house guard, a Muslim, came running and told him to run as a mob was coming to attack. He climbed on to the roof of his home and practically carrying his mother managed to escape. They were missing for a long time. My sister was expecting her 4th child who was born still born. She came to live with us in Delhi. Announcements for missing people were made daily on radio. We had no way of knowing if he had survived.
In January, 1948, one day I returned home from school and I saw a strange bearded man sleeping on the sofa. He was my brother-in-law! They had managed to reach Ferozepur then eventually Delhi.

We had to make temporary rooms in the verandah for refugees. I recall other cousins who were grown men at that time and were in fact so scared, that beds were made for them in my parent’s rooms. My Ayah used to tell me about bodies lying on the road. There was bloodshed on both sides.
Food was scarce those days. We used to get egg powder in tins as fresh eggs were not available.


The Future
I feel that the next generation, the youth of today will take action and improve on today.


This interview took place in Mrs. Kapur's home in New Delhi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog