SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 14, 2010
Mr. R.Mehta from Ahemdabad

D.O.B:  26th August 1930

Place of Birth : Ahmedabad, Gujarat

Father: Chinubhai Mehta


Education: St. Xavier’s school, Ahmedabad

                 Law


Family Life & Early Years
I was the eldest amongst my brothers and sisters. I was 17 years old during this time period. The house I lived in was actually a bungalow called ‘Ramnivas’. It was later made into a mansion but when first built, in 1931 by Mr. Batley, a British architect, it had only two bedrooms. Over the years it expanded.


Independence
Since I was born, I was made to wear khadi (homespun cloth) only. My underwear, my socks, everything was khadi. After the 1942 Quit India movement the British government started discussing the idea of an independent India. In those discussions there were lot of different points of view. When the British arrested political leaders after the Quit India movement, many people were infuriated and started protesting. I took part in these protests with my friends. We took part in processions; we were only 12 years old so we were doing it for fun. The environment was such; we felt as if the whole country should participate. Later it went to the extent that some leaders were shot like Kinariwala in Ahmedabad.

Our family business was in textile mills. We owned many mills across Ahmedabad. There were two British workers in our mills and they both were dismissed. We used these mills as a sign of protest. My ‘mamu’ (maternal uncle), Vadilal Lallubhai, shut the textile mills to oppose the British.

I also distinctly remember Baboo Rao Fauzdar. He was a police officer and was very close to the government. He would secretly meet my father at night and report about the actions of the government and police. He also had access to prisons to report about the well being of our relatives, if they were in jail.


After Mahatma Gandhi was released from jail there was a prayer meeting in Juhu, Bombay. I wanted to meet him and I sneaked my way in. I was lucky enough to meet him and I had a “darshan” (an audience) with him. I had a lot of respect for him and he was one of the greatest men in the world.


Partition
The partition wasn’t really felt in Gujarat.Two Sindhi families from Karachi came to live with us, the Gidwani’s and the Mariwala’s. Ironically, this very H.D. Mariwala suggested my wife, for me!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog