TUESDAY, OCTOBER 19, 2010
Mr. S.B.Singh
D.O.B: 19th February, 1929
Place of Birth: Peshawar
Education: F.A

Family Life & Early Years
We were 4 brothers and sisters. We grew up in Peshawar. My father ran a restaurant and aerated water factory.
We had a simple life, went to school in the day and  after that played hockey every evening. Sometimes we would watch a movie in the family owned cinema house. My father was earlier in the army and his last posting was Peshawar and since his brother-in-law also lived there , he decided to settle there too.

Partition
One of my brothers was an officer in the railways and was posted in Delhi at that time, so our family moved to Delhi and stayed with him for a while. I was a student. My studies were disrupted. Initially we did not think that this divide would really happen. We thought we would go back. Only later we moved from my brothers house and found an alternate accommodation in Kashmere Gate. Later my eldest brother and I opened a restaurant in Cannought Place.

I saw Pandit Nehru when he and Lord Mountbatten were going to attend the Parliament. He was the darling of the nation. I was very excited to see him.

15th August, 1947
I heard the speech on radio. We had mixed feelings about Independence. This meant we were going to lose everything in Pakistan. The compensation we got was very little.

India Now
The youth have to work hard and be sincere to the nation.


This interview was conducted via email.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog